Friday, April 4, 2008

Pasta with Broccoli Rabe


I feel like every now and then there comes along a vegetable or other food item that everyone is talking about or serving. I think Broccoli Rabe is having it's day because I see it everywhere. I've never even had it before and suddenly it's like the "IN" veggie.

So I saw a recipe for shell pasta with broccolli rabe that sounded good. I tried it yesterday and though I couldn't get enough of it, my hubby thought it was a bit too bitter. It is a bitter vegetable, but I developed a taste for bitter vegetables (like bitter gourd) at home so that's probably why I enjoyed it. But apparantly to get rid of the bitterness you should boil it with a little bit of oil, black pepper and crushed red pepper until its tender enough to stick a fork through (tip courtesy of a hardy italian native). Then you can add it to whatever recipe you like.

I used skinny penne in mine, but the original Whole Foods recipe is below.

Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe, Sun Dried Tomatoes and White Beans
Serves 6 to 8

1 pound orecchiette pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems removed, leaves chopped
1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 12 pieces), sliced
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water and drain pasta thoroughly.

Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add half the broccoli rabe and sauté until lightly wilted but not brown, about 2 minutes. Add remaining broccoli rabe to pan and cook for another minute or two. Add sun-dried tomatoes and cannellini beans and toss lightly. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Add hot drained pasta to the pan (or to a larger bowl if needed) and toss with the vegetables. Stir and add a few tablespoons of reserved pasta cooking water if mixture seems dry. Season and taste again. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)