Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kofta


I love Kofta. I love those small, spicy balls of ground meat that burst forth with flavor when you eat them. Ok maybe I'm being a little over dramatic, but I do love them. And I've never made them before, suprisingly. We eat them all the time at home - always with a spicy curry to keep them moist. I had some ground beef yesterday ready to cook and I was deciding between old fashioned keema and burgers. Not the most exciting choices. So I flipped through the indo-pak book and saw a few recipes for Kofte and various things like gravy, tomatoes, fenugreek, eggs, shrimp, and the list goes on. There were even recipes for stuffed meatballs and persian meatballs. Maybe another day... I had a bunch of tomatoes lying around so I decided to use them (after washing them in veggiewash - the news has got me scared of salmonella!) in the recipe for Kofte tomatay. I love the urdu pronounciations of everything :)


Kofte Tamatay (Meatballs and tomatoes)

Serves 4.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 lbs. onions
1 lb diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground ginger and garlic
1 tsp chilli powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
3 green chillis
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp salt
kofte (recipe following)


Heat oil and brown sliced onions. Add ginger and garlic, fry for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Fry until oil comes up. Add 1 cup of water, slit green chillis, cilantro, and kofte. Cook until water dries and oil comes up.



Kofte (Meatballs)

Serves 4.


Ingredients:
1 lb ground meat
1 onion diced fine
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 cup roasted besan
4 cloves garlic ground
1/2 tsp ground spices (cardomom, cloves and cinnamon)
2 tbsp yogurt
3 chopped green chillis
1/4 chopped cilantro
1 tsp salt


Combine all ingredients together and shape into 1 inch meatballs. Heat 2 tbsp water in frying pan. Add one layer of meatballs and cook covered until water dries. Add 1 tbsp oil and fry until evenly browned on all sides. Repeat for remaining meatballs.

2 comments:

sameera said...

sounds yum! you ain't supposed to use tomatoes!

samshi said...

why ain't i? cause of salmonella or cause its kofta? its kofte tamatay for goodness sake!

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)