Monday, December 21, 2009

Comfort food

I've been looking for comforting foods to make at home recently - I guess the winter and snow will do that :) I never realized how much I love grilled cheese until I made it to take to a friend's house the other day. I really don't use my Foreman grill enough, but this is the perfect reason to take it out and "fire" it up! The great thing about grilled cheese is that it's really just a sandwich and that means you can put in it whatever you want. My personal fave is grilled cheese and sliced tomatoes. Hot tomatoes have a really beautiful texture and go great with gooey cheese in my opinion. So far I've only made these with white sandwich bread because all the recipes I looked at used it, but since white bread is not really a healthy option I'm planning to try it out with whole wheat bread soon.

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Ingredients:
White sandwich bread
Melted butter or olive oil
Shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese you want, mix even)
Sliced fresh tomatoes (optional)

To make:
Preheat a Foreman grill or grill pan to medium heat. For each sandwich, brush butter or olive oil onto each side of two slices of bread. On one slice of bread, pile on 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Add slices of tomato if using, and cover with remaining slice of bread. Spray preheated grill or pan with cooking spray, and arrange sandwiches. Cook for 2-3 minutes in closed Foreman grill or 2-3 minutes on each side in pan until cheese is melted and bread is toasted and golden. Serve with tomato soup for a filling meal.



No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)