Saturday, September 29, 2012

Squash and Cabbage.. something

I'm not sure there is name for this, nor do I think there needs to be a name for every dish. I've been trying to make the most of the organic vegetables I get from my farmshare, and I think this is one of those dishes I could actually eat with rice as a meal and be really satisfied.


Yellow Squash and Red Cabbage Dish
Ingredients:
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into chunks
1 small head of red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup of shredded carrot
kosher salt
white pepper
black pepper
onion flakes or powder
garlic powder
celery seeds

(I can't offer any measurements for the spices because I didn't use any! I would say use the garlic powder and celery seeds sparingly.)

Heat a deep pot on medium-high. Add the green pepper, then the squash. Saute the squash until it softens a bit, and then add the cabbage and carrot. Season with spices, add 1/4 of water, and simmer on low for 10-15 min until cabbage is cooked. If there's still water, turn the heat back to medium-high and stir fry till the mixture is dry. Serve over rice, with some soy sauce if you like.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)