Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chicken Corn Soup

Sameera shared her "cookbook" with me, which is a collection of recipes she uses often (I'm guessing - it could be for some totally other reason) and I've tried a couple of them and they've been great. I've always loved egg drop soup but I've never had a chicken version since I usually don't eat chicken in chinese restaurants. But this recipe was so easy and turned out really yummy. I added some chopped fresh green chilis to add to the punch, and used regular canned corn instead of creamed, but added some sour cream to make it creamy (as you can see I was just using what I had at home!).

4-5 chicken pieces ( I used 1 large breast halve, cut in large chunks)
water
1 can cream style corn
salt or agino moto
2-3 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg

To make:
1. Boil chicken in water, add salt to water.
2. After chicken has cooked, remove from water.
3. Strain water (now chicken broth) to remove all chicken pieces. Return to stove.
4. Add cream style corn to chicken broth.
5. Shred chicken and add to liquid mixture
6. Add agino moto or salt to taste
7. Mix some water (few tbsp) into cornstarch until it forms a thin paste
8. Add paste to soup until it forms a thick consistency
9. Beat egg in small bowl and add to soup, stirring immediately with a fork until spread throughout. Remove from heat.
10. Serve with soy sauce, hot sauce, and vinegar.

3 comments:

sameera said...

wel the original recipe is fantastic! with creamed corn..try it one day..and make sure to have chili sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar..it really adds to it! ohh now i want some

samshi said...

I will though what I made was *really* yummy. Mohammed loved it too. I used some tabasco sauce and dried red pepper flakes - I'm not a big fan of soy sauce, and I wasn't sure about the vinegar by itself (chillis in vinegar would have been different). Do you mix all three together and serve?

sameera said...

Just a few drops of each condiment on top..not mixed together..but whatever it mixes. BTW this is Abeer's mom's recipe...

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)