Monday, March 31, 2008

Sticky Rice with Mango

If you're really my friend you'll know I love sticky rice with mango with a passion (just kidding about the being my friend part). The only problem is whenever we eat out I'm always stuffed long before the end of the meal and thus never have the guts to order dessert (I don't like wasting food). So since I was making thai food for some friends we had over for lunch yesterday, I decided it was a prime time to make some sticky rice with a little recipe I cut out from some box of something many months ago and filed away for future reference (I don't like wasting recipes, either). All I can say is..... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sweet mangoes are hard to find outside of summer so it was a little early for this dessert, but I actually liked the contrast of sweet rice and slightly sour mango...

Sticky Rice with Mangoes

1 cup uncooked Jasmine Rice
1 can of coconut milk (I prefer the lite, lower-fat version)
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1. In a medium saucepan, boil 1 1/2 cups of water. When boiling, add 1 cup of jasmine rice (Note: I didn't wash the rice because I wanted some starchy gooeyness). Return to boil and then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.

2. In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

3. Pour coconut mixture into cooked rice. Stir well. Cover with foil and pan lid. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

4. To serve, spoon rice onto a plate, sprinke with sesame seeds and arrange mango slices on the side.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)