Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Salsa Verde

I've been getting veggies from a weekly farm share (via my friend Mona who is sweet enough to pick them up for me) and trying to find new recipes that involve these veggies, some of which I've never seen before and obviously don't recognize. I did recognize tomatillos in this last batch, but I still had no idea what to do with them. So I looked online and found a recipe for Salsa Verde, which apparantly is traditionally made with tomatillos! Score, because I love salsa verde! Simply Recipes is a great cooking blog and she had a recipe that I tried with my batch of tomatillos. Turned out great, had a very fresh and light taste. And you can make it spicier if you leave the ribs and seeds of the serrano chile in (that's for next time ;)). There are two options for prepping the tomatillos; I boiled. Very easy recipe and worth the minimal work!


Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe from Simply Recipes

To cook the tomatillos, you can either roast them in the oven, or boil them. Roasting will deliver more flavor; boiling may be faster and use less energy. Either way works, though boiling is a more common way to cook the tomatillos.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb tomatillos
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 JalapeƱo peppers OR 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Salt to taste

Method
1. Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
2a. Roasting method Cut in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.
2b. Boiling method Place tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos with a slotted spoon.
2. Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, chili peppers, sugar in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
Serve with chips or as a salsa accompaniment to Mexican dishes.
Makes 3 cups.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)