Monday, October 6, 2008

Chicken Biryani

My hyderabadi cookbook always comes to the rescue. I had some chicken pieces defrosting at home and I thought it was the perfect time to make biryani. I went online looking for some recipes, but they all seemed to require too many ingredients and too many steps. Even using pre-made biryani masala there was still too much to do and it was giving me a headache. So I went home and pulled out the trusty cookbook and found a recipe for biryani after 6 dozen recipes for pullao. What's up with hyderabadi's and pullao?!

This recipe wasn't simple, but it had minimum steps and didn't require a lot of standing over a pot or pan; which I like, because it gave me the opportunity to do other things, like make corn pudding. :) It also turned out well, and had the color I was looking for without adding artificial biryani color that some recipes suggest using. I used chicken in this recipe, but you could use any meat.

Chicken Biryani (Chicken and Rice)
8 servings.

For rice:
4 cups rice
2, 2" cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods
4 cloves
4 green chillies
10 mint leaves
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp saffron
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp lemon juice

For chicken:
1 1/2 cups shortening (or veg oil)
2 lbs chicken in pieces
2 medium onions, sliced
1 tbsp ground ginger and garlic
1 cup yogurt
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
8 ground almonds (I left this out, not a fan of too much sweet)
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground coconut
4 cloves
4 cardamom pods
2, 2" cinnamon sticks
1 tsp salt

Cook chicken:
Heat shortening and brown sliced onions. Add all ingredients and cook until liquid dries. Add 2 cups of water, and cook until chicken is tender and water has dried. Fry 3 minutes or until oil separates. 

Cook rice:
Soak saffron in milk. Wash rice and set aside. Boil 12 cups of water with remaining ingredients, except lemon juice. Add rice and cook until half done. Drain the rice.

To make biryani:
Remove half of rice to another container, and spread chicken and gravy over first half in pot. Reserve a little of gravy for top of rice. Cover with other half of rice, and remaining gravy. Sprinkle saffron milk over top, and add lemon juice. Cover and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Before serving, blend rice and chicken together.



No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)