Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Corn pudding

Closet Cooking is one of my favorite blogs to follow, and I knew when I saw the recipe for corn pudding I just had to try it. Especially because it looked soooo good in the picture. Pictures speak louder than words, sometimes. :) My mom used to make a great corn pudding-type thing every thanksgiving when I was young, and I still remember it and crave it sometimes. I should probably ask her if she still has the recipe, but I was hoping this would save me the trouble. :)
It was yummy but a bit sweet, and I think I'd prefer a less sugary version. Maybe next time I'll cut down on the sugar in the recipe. Otherwise, it was pretty good! The recipe recommends 30 min in the oven, but my oven took about 50 min to brown the top (but I was also making something else in the oven). I would start with 30 min and keep checking until it has browned sufficiently.

Corn Pudding, from A Yankee in a Southern Kitchen, via Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
2 ears worth
of corn kernels
3 tablespoons g
ranulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon sa
lt
1/
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon of melted butter
1/4 teaspoon freshly
grated nutmeg


Directions:
1. Mix everything in a bowl.
2. Pour into a baking dish.
3. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is golden brown on top and set like a custard, about 30 minutes. (A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.)

4 comments:

Seema said...

wow this looks reeeally yummy!

Seema said...

so i just made this substituting .5 cup evaporated milk for the .5 cup heavy cream and it still came out very yummy :)

samshi said...

So is evaporated milk healthier than heavy cream? Because you can always have the cans around, but heavy cream you have to buy fresh... and I never use all of it. Do you think its a pretty good substitution?

I'm so glad you tried the recipe!

Seema said...

Not sure if it's healthier...i imagine it would be. its just what i had so i used it! :) it still tasted yummy, though I think I used too much corn. thanks for the recipe sam!

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)