Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mediterranean Chicken Stew

Speaking of new cookbooks, I've become attached to Martha Stewart Living's Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. I borrowed it from the library when I saw it in the top ten cookbook bestsellers on Amazon, and I've already renewed it 4 times. :)

I've been relying on it more recently since my husband has decided he can't handle spicy food (this is the man who told me he could tolerate more spice than I could when we first got married). This is a great recipe with lots of flavor but not too many ingredients, which is why I really like this book in general. Simple, good food.

Mediterranean Chicken Stew
Prep time: 30 min
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 cups)
2 tbsp chopped pitted kalamata olives (about 5)
1 tsp white-wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Season the chicken with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, turning occasionally, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

2. Reduce the heat to medium-low; add the remaining tsp oil to the skillet. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes; cook over medium heat until starting to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the olives, vinegar, and chicken along with any accumulated juices to the pan; toss until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in the parsley.

Serve over polenta or with couscous (my preference :)).

The recipe can also be made with peeled and deveined shrimp; replace chickpeas with cannellini beans.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)