Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Coconut Shrimp Soup


I make a really quick thai curry chicken all the time because my husband loves it. We were having some people over last weekend and he wanted me to make it for dinner. I wanted something to start off, and I saw a great-looking recipe for thai-style soup in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food - Great Food Fast cookbook that I borrowed from the library. It turned out fantastic and it was pretty low maintenance. To be honest, it was filling enough to be a main course on its own. And barring the garlic, ginger, and lime, it didn't require any special thai spices at all. I'll be making this again soon.

Coconut Shrimp Soup
from Great Food Fast - Everyday Food
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger (I used bottled)
2 garlic cloves, minced (again, I used the bottled version to save time)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on desired spice level
1 lb carrots (6-8 medium), peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
4 oz angel hair pasta
1 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
coarse salt
4 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and the red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots, coconut milk, and 3 cups water.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water until smooth. Add to the pot and bring to a boil.
3. Break the pasta in half and add to the pot. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the pasta is al dente and the carrots are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp. Stir until opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Season with salt.
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with scallions.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)