Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ramadan Rice Soup

My husband loves this soup, it's like his comfort food. The recipe is from his mom, and she usually makes it in Ramadan for breaking the fast. I love the soup too, it's just so filling for me that I can't eat anything else for iftar!! 

Rice Soup (from Nahla Erakat)
Serves 2-3.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 zucchini cut in cubes (skin on or off, depending on your preference)
1 onion chopped small
1 large potato cut in cubes
1/4 cup of rice, washed (I prefer medium grain, like Carolina)
3 cups of water
1 chicken stock bouillon cube
1 tsp of salt, or to taste
pepper to taste
1 tsp of 7 spice powder (found in arabic stores)
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder

Directions:
1. Heat oil in 3 quart saucepan on medium and saute zucchini, onion, potato, and rice.
2. Add water, bouillon cube, salt, pepper, 7 spice and turmeric. Bring to boil on high heat.
3. Lower heat to medium, and cook covered for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.


No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)