Friday, January 25, 2008

Dum ki Murgh (Chicken)

This was the easiest chicken I have ever made in my life. I didn't use this exact recipe because I was counting on having internet the night I was going to make it but our wireless connection wasn't working - so I pulled out a dum ki murgh recipe from my Hyderabadi cookbook and just blended the ingredients in there and dumped it over the chicken. There wasn't enough strong flavor even for my husband (though I still liked it), so I think next time I'm going to follow this recipe (mine had too many bland ingredients, like sour cream, cashews, poppy seeds, etc. but maybe that works for the stove+oven method). But honestly this was so easy and the chicken came out SOOOO tender it was unbelievable. You have to try it!

Hyderbadi dum ki chicken (from Sameera's mom)

2 chickens cut into pieces
2 Tbsp almonds toasted and ground
1 c yogurt
handful of cilantro/ dhania/ kothmeer
2 Tbsp fried onion
3/4 tsp garam masala
1 1/4 tsp mirchi
1/4 tsp haldi
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp oil

---
preheat oven to 350.
blend all ingredients, except chicken, in a blender until liquified.
pour over chicken and bake at 350 until chicken is cooked through.

note: I used a meat thermometer to check the chicken temp after 20 min and then every 10 min to see when the internal temp reached 160. total cooking time for me was about 40 min but it will depend on the size of your chicken pieces and your oven.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)