Monday, January 7, 2008

Eggplant (Or any veggie) Pakoras

Najiba mentioned making these the other day, and it sounded delicious. Eggplant is also my husband's favorite veggie, so he was the perfect guinea pig. I used the large variety of eggplant, but picked the smallest one I could find. The seeds are the best part of the eggplant, and I feel like seed-to-flesh ratio is too low in the really big eggplants.

I sliced the eggplant relatively thin, but the slightly thicker slices actually turned out tasting better, because the eggplant was juicier inside after frying. I think about 1/2 inch thick works. I cut in to half-moons at Najiba's recommendation, because big round slices aren't really bite-sized.

This recipe is actually based on instructions from the back of the bag of besan (gram flour) from the Indian store. I added a bit more besan than recommended, just to make it thick enough to coat the eggplant and stay on. I didn't have ajwan seeds, so I substituted cumin seeds, because wikipedia said they were similarly flavored. I think using seeds as opposed to powder is key though.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups besan (gram flour)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ajwan seeds
2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder

To make:

1. Mix the flour and a little water in a bowl to make a stiff dough, then add more water and whip the mixture to make a thick batter. Let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil for frying on medium heat in a skillet deep enough to let pakoras float. The oil should be nearly smoking when ready.
3. Add all other ingredients to batter and mix again to keep batter thick.
4. Cut eggplant into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick half moon slices.
5. Dip each slice of eggplant into the batter and coat both sides.
6. Drop into the hot oil, frying a few slices at a time, few enough that the slices don't stick together while swimming in the oil.
7. Turn frequently and remove when golden brown on both sides.
8. Drain well and place on plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil.
9. Eat immediately!

No comments:

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)