Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The First One - Mango and Ginger Shrimp Skewers

Just because this is my first recipe posting, doesn't mean this is my favorite recipe. I just thought I would get things started. I found this recipe on the NPR website, and it sounds just like something my husband loves to eat at a restaurant we frequent. I'm going to try it on my new George Foreman grill (any other Foreman-owners?) this weekend... Let me know if you try it!

Shrimp on Skewers with Ginger & Mango Glaze

ingredients:
1 large ripe, mango, peeled and seed removed
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Several sprigs fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 25- 30 to a pound
Wooden skewers soaked in hot water

to make:
1. place mango, ginger, sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, cilantro and hot sauce into a blender and puree till smooth
2. put shrimp into a bowl, pour marinade over them and allow to marinate, refrigerated, for 1 hour
3. thread shrimp onto skewers, season with salt and pepper
4. using a grill pan, or outdoor grill, grill shrimp over high heat, turning to cook both sides, until the glaze turns a burnished mahogany color
5. serve shrimp immediately

Recipe © 2007 Michael Lomonaco

Update: I tried the grilled shrimp in the foreman, and though it was easy, I'm not so impressed with the output. The shrimp didn't caramelize like I expected them too, even though the mango should have provided enough sugar. Maybe adding some honey would help? It still tasted good, and I put together a nice garden salad to go with it, but this one may be better for gas or charcoal grills.

1 comment:

samshi said...

I was looking for a low-carb supplement to this dish (my hubby is on a low/no-carb kick), and sameera suggested a salad of field greens, toasted nuts and cranberries and rasberry vinagrette. Yummy!
Now I love rasberry vinagrette, but my husband is not into fruity foods, so an alternative could be a dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. She also recommended adding some cherry tomatos and/or pepperoncinis. That girl is full of ideas!! :)

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)