Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chicken Do Piaza

I'm trying to plan my week of cooking ahead of time to minimize on the grocery store trips, which are getting excessive. I'm hoping this pre-planning will also mean saving money. If any of you have tips on planning and cooking meals, let me know! This is a recipe I'm planning to make this week, if all goes well :)

Chicken Do Piaza (from Sameera's cookbook)
Serves 6

Ingredients

4 medium onions, sliced
3 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic/ginger paste
1 whole chicken, cut into parts
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs chopped cilantro

Instructions
  1. Put onions, oil, salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic/ginger paste, and 1/4 cup water in a pot and let it cook, covered, as the onions become tender and fall apart.
  2. Add chicken to pot. Add more water if needed until chicken is finished cooking.
  3. The onions should complete cooking with the chicken, and it will all come together. water should be dissolved and the dish should start to release a tiny bit of oil.
  4. Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
Can also be made with mutton (will require longer cooking time).

2 comments:

sameera said...

how was it?

samshi said...

yummy! I even left out the chili powder (for the hubby) and it still tasted very good. I just upped the turmeric a bit to make sure there was enough flavor.

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)