Sunday, December 7, 2008

Crab Hush Puppies

I'm posting a couple of recipes that I want to try this week. This one got good reviews on epicurious and sounds like a very quick finger food or snack. They call it Indian but I'm skeptical till I try them.

Crab Hush Puppies with Curried Honey-Mustard Sauce
(from the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen)
Makes about 30.

Ingredients

1/4 cup Creole (or whole grain) mustard
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 cup just-add-water cornbread mix
1/4 cup bottled clam juice
12 oz. fresh lump crabmeat, diced
3/4 cup and 1/4 cup green onions, diced fine
vegetable oil for frying

Instructions

  1. Stir mustard, honey, and 1 1/4 tsp curry powder in small bowl for dipping sauce.
  2. Stir cornbread mix, clam juice, and 1/2 tsp curry powder in medium bowl. Mix in crabmeat and 3/4 cup green onions.
  3. Pour enough oil into medium saucepan to read depth of 1 1/2 inches. Heat oil to 320 to 330 F (use deep-fry thermometer if available). Working in batches, drop batter into oil by heaping teaspoonfuls. Fry until golden and cooked through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
  4. Sprinkle hush puppies with remaining green onions and serve with dipping sauce.

2 comments:

sameera said...

i swear we share a brain
i've been ogling this recipe for months..but have no occasion (or someone to eat it with)

samshi said...

you're the one who told me about this recipe silly! though I agree it's quite possible we share a brain. the crabmeat is on my grocery list so let's see how it goes. fresh crabmeat is darn expensive!

Welcome to my blog! This is space for my random acts of cookery, mostly the successful ones. :)